7 Reasons to Pick Up Your Dog’s Poop & Throw it Away!
Here is how I look at it, your pet’s diet (for the most part) includes processed foods, just like human food. Their food is very different from what they would eat in the wild. Because our pets foods are processed their poop contains bacteria in it that are not found in wild animal poop. Mother Nature isn’t supposed to take care of your pets poop! When you don’t pick up your pets poop it gets washed away by rainwater into our stormwater drains, it also eventually seeps into the ground and into our water ways causing harm to aquatic wildlife and our water quality.
Still not convinced that you need to pick up their poop? Keep reading to find out more reasons why you should pick up & dispose of your pets poop in the trash!
Here are 7 reasons why:
- Stormwater carries pet waste and other pollutants directly into waterways. Not picking up your pet’s poop means that you are contributing to water quality issues.
- Animal waste adds nitrogen to the water. Excess nitrogen depletes the oxygen in the water necessary for beneficial aquatic wildlife.
- Pet waste that’s been sitting in your yard or other areas attracts flies and other pests. Pick up after your pets before applying Benesafe or any yard treatments.
- Animal waste can contain harmful bacteria and microorganisms such as Giardia, Salmonella, and E. coli that can be transmitted to humans and other animals by ingesting contaminated water. Kids who play in their yard alongside poop that hasn’t been cleaned up are most susceptible to getting sick.
- It’s the law! Many urban and suburban areas require you to pick up after your pet. Note: Even if there is no restriction, cleaning up after your pet is always the right thing to do.
- No one likes to step in pet waste and spread it into homes, cars, and businesses. Also, who likes getting poop stuck in their kicks?
- It’s easy to clean up by carrying plastic baggies in your pocket. The baggies can be secured and thrown away in the garbage, not in the yard waste
To learn more about this initiative and to get a cute Pick Up Poop sign for your lawn visit: http://www.dogscantflush.org/
Did you know there is a service that will Pick Up Poop from you yard for you? Visit Green Scoop to book their service!