How to Beat the Heat: Tips on Keeping your Pet Cool
This summer has been the hottest one we have experienced so far! I can’t remember a time when we had consecutive weeks of 90 degree heat. As we come into the end of the summer, we should still remember that there are hot days ahead. Keep protecting your yard and garden with Benesafe's Yard and Garden Spray, and also take steps to make sure your furry companion does not get overheated.
Follow these helpful tips by the Humane Society of the United States to keep your pup safe:
- Never leave your dog alone in your car, not even for a minute!
- Check the humidity, a combination of high humidity and heat can lead to heatstroke
- Limit exercise on a hot day
- Provide ample water, a place to cool off, and shade
- Give your dog a pupsicle to keep them cool, here is a simple 3 ingredient recipe from my favorite food blogger, Gemma Stafford Bigger Bolder Baking:
- 1 cup (8oz/120g) plain yogurt (no sweetness or flavors)
- 1/2 cup (4oz/120g) peanut butter, smooth
- 1 ripe bananas (you can add blueberries or other fruits that are safe for your dog)
- In a small bowl mash up the banana until smooth and no lumps.
- Stir in the yogurt and peanut butter and mix until evenly combined.
- Spoon into dog bone molds (or ice cube trays). Fill evenly and smooth the top.
- Tap on the counter to ensure there are no air bubble and the mixture is evenly distributed.
- Freeze for a minimum of 5 hours or even overnight.
- To remove tap on the counter to loosen then turn out. If you have any trouble, quickly run the mold under warm water to help the treats release then turn out.
- Store in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Enjoy your summer with Benesafe!
Esther + Benny